Nailers leave it late again

Kieran Wells ''Photo by Tim Harrison
Kieran Wells ''Photo by Tim Harrison

Mickleover Sports 1

Belper Town 1

The Nailers left it late to gain a point at rivals Mickleover Sports, meaning a third consecutive late show to come away with a result, writes Joe Malone.

There were more changes in the line up as Scot Low, Chris Jones, Dan White, Gareth Davies and Mark Ward all came in, with Chris Adam retaining his place on the bench, despite his two late goals on Saturday.

The weather played a factor in what was a difficult game with periods of scrappy play by both sides.

The Nailers’ frontman Jon Froggatt slipped Colin Marrison in down the left hand side on the penalty area on the eighth minute, but his first time drive was saved well by Chris Martin to push it away for a corner.

Aaron Webster had a good opportunity for the home side with a free kick from 20 yards in a central position. His shot was lifted over the wall but lacked the pace to take it all the way, as Scot Low got across to his left hand post to parry away well.

Belper got most of their joy down the right hand side in the first half, and on the 33rd minute, Jon Froggatt was played in down the right hand side to play the ball across the box first time to the unmarked Mark Ward, who could only aim straight at the goalkeeper from eight yards.

Sports however continued to press, and Karl Demidh proved to be the thorn in the Nailers’ defence as his energetic runs inside and out were causing problems throughout the game.

Jon Froggatt then produced an overhead kick on the six-yard box from a corner which was tipped over well by the fingertips of Martin.

However, despite good chances for the Nailers, it was Mickleover who took the lead in a cagey affair as a cross was whipped in from the right by Aaron Webster at the second attempt, which found Nico Degirolamo unmarked on the six yard box for a free header which was bulleted into the top corner, as the Nailers were left stunned right on the stoke of half time.

Belper Town had it all to do in the second half as they sought after the equalising goal.

There were chances for Harrison, Froggatt, Jones and Marrison of whom would have all expected better of themselves, as they failed to work the target with any real conviction.

Demidh continued to threaten the Nailers with positive runs towards the area, and his low drive on the 69th minute was saved well by Low at his near left post.

Chris Adam and Kieran Wells were then brought on late by manager Duffield, and any hope of another magical impact was deep inside the minds of all the supporters watching on.

As the Nailers pressed and pushed Mickleover back deep inside their own half, chances continued to come but with to no avail.

However, when four minutes of injury were announced, the voices of the crowd rose a notch, as well as the Nailers tempo.

And on the 94th minute, the ball dropped for the this time super-sub Kieran Wells inside the area on the left hand side, and his powerful drive on his right foot went beyond the bodies and smashed into the back of the net to give the Nailers another point and deny Mickleover all three.

Mickleover Sports: Chris Martin, Kyle Bryant, Kevin Grocott, Liam Walshe, Dwayne Wiley, Nico Degirolamo, Aaron Webster, Romine Graham, Jordan Ball, Karl Demidh (Henry Sibenge 70), Rob Ritchie-Smith. Other Subs: Danny Davidson, Joe Mansfield, Martin Smyth, Connor Mason.

Belper Town: Scott Low, Chris Jones, Cameron Stuart (Kieran Wells 80), Colin Marrison, Philip Watt, Dan White, Simon Harrison, Steve Warne, Jon Froggatt, Mark Ward, Gareth Davies (Chris Adam 69) Other Subs: Aaron Pride, Luke Beatson, Dave Ratcliffe

Referee: Ian Smedley (Derby)

Attendance: 247

Photo by Tim Harrison shows Kieran Wells celebrating his late goal for Belper