Nailers win comfortably over ten-man Kidsgrove

Jon Froggatt, Belper Town''Photo by Tim Harrison
Jon Froggatt, Belper Town''Photo by Tim Harrison

Belper Town struggled to overcome ten-man Kidsgrove Athletic and only made the score emphatic with two goals in added-on time.

Peter Duffield made one change to the starting line-up with Chris Adam coming in for Simon Harrison, who had to settle for a place on the bench.

Matt Millns and Aaron Pride were still unavailable through injury.

Shane Reaney’s free kick in the third minute was taken from the edge of the area after Richard Adams gave away a cheap foul, and although the opportunity was wasted, it was the Staffordshire side that started the game brightest.

Chris Adam did well to get past two defenders and get the ball across, but Dave Dyson cut out the resulting cross as the Nailers finally asked some questions, and then the visitors went down to ten men in the eighth minute when James Curley tangled with Richard Adams and the referee showed no hesitation in showing the red card.

Belper soon took advantage and went in front in the 15th minute when Eric Graves scored with an angled drive.

Chris Adam went into the penalty area in the 30th minute and skipped past two defenders but his snap shot was deflected for a corner.

The Kidsgrove goal led a charmed life for a few seconds in the 32nd minute after Shaun Tuton’s initial effort was saved by Dave Dyson’s flailing leg and they survived a number of other efforts before finally getting the ball away from danger.

The Nailers had the comfort of a second goal in the 38th minute when Andy Rushbury picked out Shaun Roulston with a pinpoint cross and he planted a perfect header wide.

The visitors pulled a goal back in the 43rd minute after the Nailers had failed to clear the ball following a rare Kidsgrove attack and Daniel Skelton struck a low drive into the far corner.

Steve Warne nearly caught the ‘keeper off his line on 67 minutes with a shot from 35 yards but the ball drifted a yard wide as the frustration at Belper’s inability to finish Kidsgrove off racked up a notch.

A wave of relief went around Christchurch Meadow in the 74th minute when the ball fell to Greg Wright 12 yards out and he made sure with a crisp finish.

Colin Marrison managed to make it 4-1 when he turned in an Andy Rushbury cross in the first minute of added on time.

Jon Froggatt rounded off a comfortable win after Eric Graves took the ball off Dean Smith and unselfishly laid it in the path of the Belper striker, who made certain from ten yards out to complete the 5-1 victory.

Belper Town: Chapman, Wright, Rushbury, Cotton (Marrison 79), Roulston, Adams, Adam (Harrison 75), Warne, Froggatt, Tuton (Thomas 60), Graves. Unused subs: Ward, Ratcliffe.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Dyson, Smith, Donnelly (Johnston 31), Espley, Parkinson, Taylor, Hill (Lowndes 83), Skelton, Curley, Reaney (Nagington 68), Sherratt. Unused subs: Street.

Referee: Joe Clark (Walsall)

Att: 140

Match Sponsors: Alan Benfield Ltd.

Man of the Match: Jon Froggatt.