Night to forget for the Nailers

Share this article

Belper Town endured a night to forget away to Stourbridge on a torrid Tuesday night, with a comprehensive 4-0 defeat, writes Joe Malone.

Manager Peter Duffield made wholesale changes to his side that lost 2-0 on Saturday, with Regan Edridge, Lee Thompson and Jon Froggatt dropped from the team, and Simon Harrison, Mathew Varley and Kieran Wells coming in to start.

The first half proved to be dreamland for Stourbridge’s Luke Benbow, who scored four goals to all but destroy Belper Town with 50 per cent of the game still to play.

The first goal came for the home side after just three and a half minutes when Ben Billingham broke clear down the left and cut inside to shoot, forcing Martin in to a good save.

Brown then attempted to side foot into the open net as the ball fell into his path, however Jones was there to clear the ball off the line.

Then, direct from the clearance, Haynes found Benbow with the cross, who in turn volleyed the ball beyond Martin, into the back of the net.

Stourbridge then doubled their lead on the 14th minute with a corner from the right. The ball was sent in to the back post, and Benbow was on hand for a free header to nod the ball home.

It took just 23 minutes for the hat-trick to come when Benbow beat Varley to the ball and turned him well to run in on goal on the inside left and dink the ball past the out-rushing ‘keeper.

Just when things couldn’t get any worse, Benbow hit four on the stroke of half time. This time, Ian Ross lost possession inside his own half and Billingham stole in to bare down on goal and play a perfectly weighted low cross for Benbow to finish first time.

To the Nailers’ delight, Luke Benbow was substituted at half time and the game saw a more even share in the second half. Martin was forced in to rather less action, being called upon only once or twice throughout.

Colin Marrison had the only decent chance of the game for Belper, after good work in the middle saw Ross play a ball out right to Garnett.

Garnett then played a first time cross for Marrison, who sidefooted the ball over the bar from five yards.