Nine-man Belper Town lose out late on

Phil Watt was dismissed for Belper.
Phil Watt was dismissed for Belper.

Nine-man Belper Town were denied a point after hosts Spalding struck late to seal a 2-1 victory.

Spalding’s Charley Sanders scored in the 83rd minute to complete a comeback win against Jimmy Albans’ Nailers.

Belper had to play near enough the entire game with midfielder Michael Towey in goal.

Goalkeeper Danny Haystead was sent off just seven minutes into the clash after referee Martyn Fryer deemed the Nailers’ stopper had used his hands outside of the penalty area.

Despite going down to ten men, Belper took the lead midway through the first half.

Tom Liversedge, who was making his maiden appearance for the club, curled a sweet right-footed effort into the bottom-corner from the edge of the box.

Spalding’s Josh Moreman then scored a fantastic individual goal to make the game all square.

He picked the ball up on the left wing, beat two defenders and then fired low past Towey, who could only stand and watch.

The Tulips secured the victory seven minutes from time with a brilliantly well worked goal.

Dan Lawlor sprayed a diagonal pass to full-back Paul Walker whose precise first time cross was met by forward Sanders, who tapped into an empty net.

Belper finished the game with nine men, with captain Phil Watt being shown a straight red card for a late challenge in stoppage time at the end of the game, as the Nailers were pushing for an equaliser.

Belper have now had a player sent off in each of their last four games and two in this fixture is not doing anything to rectify the situation.

Tulip’s goalscorer Moreman had a golden opportunity to give his side the lead on the stroke of half-time, when he smashed the ball over the bar after Mitch Griffiths’ effort rebounded off the bar.

The Spalding wideman could have also made the victory comfortable in the final seconds of the game as he raced clear but could only find the side netting whilst under pressure from Paul Lister.

Belper Town: Haystead (GK); Purcicoe, Lister, Watt (Capt.), Matthews; Fairclough (Wedderburn 87’), Williams, Towey, Johnson; Garnett, Liversedge (Stevenson 67’).

Unused subs: Cooksey, Taylor.

Attendance: 104