Reserves round off successful campaign by winning double

Belper United Reserves went into the final match of their season knowing a draw at home to Clipstone Welfare Reserves would be good enough to secure the league title and add that to the President’s Cup, won the week before.

As it turned out, United secured a 2-1 victory and so the double was theirs.

Belper United started nervously and Clipstone Welfare had the better of the early exchanges.

Mark Rathbone in the Belper United goal did well to tip over a fine headed effort which looked destined for the top corner.

Belper gradually started to have more of the possession but a string of missed chances was doing nothing to ease the nerves.

On 30 minutes, the deadlock was finally broken.

Adam Thorp flicked on the ball to Micky Dunne and his square ball found James Harrison in space whose shot found the back of the net.

Belper United pushed on for the second goal but some good goalkeeping kept them from adding to the score.

The half-time seemed to come at the wrong time as Belper United came out sluggishly and allowed Clipstone into a game they should of been well out of.

The match became end to end with both sides missing some glorious chances.

On 75 minutes, Darren Mayes made changes with Dan Griffin coming on for James Harrison and it had an immediate effect.

Kyle Wadsworth skipped passed a couple of players on the edge of the box and his shot came back off the far post for Dan Griffin to have the easiest task of tapping in the second goal for Belper United.

Late on, Clipstone Welfare scored a consolation goal from the penalty spot but Belper United easily saw out the last few minutes to secure a memorable League and Cup double.

Manager Darren Mayes said: “The game had a typical end of season feel to it but we had a job to do and we succeeded.

“Double winners sounds fantastic so well done to all the lads that have played for us. Mark Bailey and myself would like to thank everyone for this season and hopefully see you all next year.”