Seven-goal thriller sees Nailers come out on top

Mark Ward, Belper Town''Photo by Tim Harrison
Mark Ward, Belper Town''Photo by Tim Harrison
Share this article

A wonderful footballing spectacle saw seven goals scored between the two sides as Belper Town won a quite marvellous game 4-3 at Sutton Coldfield Town on Saturday.

The Central Ground is home to the latest technology in football pitches as the two teams lined up on the impressive 3G surface.

It didn’t take long for the goals to begin flowing for both sides, the first goal in the eighth minute for the Nailers. Simon Harrison whipped in a corner which was glanced on by the head of Mark Ward as the ball sailed into the far corner.

The lead didn’t last long as the Royals hit back just two minutes later. A throw-in was taken from the left and the ball dropped kindly for the unmarked Joel Kettle to hit home the half volley.

Any sign of the frantic start beginning to settle was brushed away as the Nailers regained their lead on the 15th minute through Dan White.

A Cameron Stuart free kick from the right was drilled towards the six yard box and stopped by a defender on the spot, only for the ball to fall for White who fired home the half volley from eight yards out.

The Royals got a timely equaliser four minutes before the break with potentially the pick of the bunch. This time, a throw-in from the left was launched in and defended well by Dan White. However, the ball fell for captain Mark Danks, who brought it down well on his chest and smashed home a tremendous volley.

The second half began faster than the first with a goal just two minutes after the restart.

Mark Danks picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and then drove in a rather speculative shot which found its way to Reeve Leek on the edge of the box to steer it in to the bottom left hand corner.

Belper reacted well and their fast tempo football paid off once again.

Chris Jones started and finished a wonderful footballing move on the 59th minute. He received the ball on the right hand side towards the touchline. His pass forward found Harrison who then began to tease the full back with his usual jinking runs as he opened up some space for the cross which was glanced on at the near post by Mark Ward, for Jones to arrive late and head home the ball into the far left corner.

The final goal came directly from the kick off just two minutes after the previous goal, as a penalty kick decided the game’s fate. The trailing leg of the twisting and turning Harrison was taken by the boot of the defender and a penalty kick was rightly awarded.

Jon Froggatt fired the ball home into the left hand corner to win it for Belper.

This was a quite stupendous game of football ended with the smiles belonging to those in yellow, although the performance of both sides will have left Sutton Coldfield with a positive frame of mind after a wonderful show of goals proved pure value for money for the ever cheering crowd.