Six-goal victory for Belper Town

Goole AFC 2 Belper Town 6

After two successive home defeats, Belper Town manager Peter Duffield called for his players to ‘show desire’ for the cause, writes Joe Malone.

Any worries of a third straight defeat were brushed aside in a manner that even the players wouldn’t have envisaged before the game kicked off. The Nailers did no more than hit the back of the net six times, and play out a terrific performance, which puts them back to winning ways in the league.

Mark Ward started up front in place of Jon Froggatt and Simon Harrison replaced Colin Marrison in midfield.

The Nailers dominated the game from start to finish and it took little over 15 minutes to score their first goal. Sam Duncum held off his marker to produce a skilful back heel for Steve Warne to latch onto down the left wing.

The ball was then driven across the box and the unlikely source of Lee Thompson arrived at the back post to steer his shot into the far corner.

Belper then doubled their lead on the 33rd minute after a great tackle and first time pass by Glyn Cotton set Shaun Tuton on his way. Tuton then played in the unmarked Mark Ward in the area who fired the ball into the far left corner, beyond the reach of Appleby.

The second half saw a flurry of goals which put Belper well on top before the hour mark. The 54th minute produced the all-important third goal for the Nailers, which put the game beyond all doubt. Joe Conkleton shimmied and took on his man down the left to loop in a cross towards Simon Harrison on the far post to volley first time into the corner.

Four minutes later, gave Belper their fourth goal and gave Mark Ward his second on the night. Harrison played in a corner from the right, which was headed away towards Glyn Cotton 25 yards from goal whose speculative volley was steered goalbound by the head of Ward on the six yard area.

It was then five on the 63rd minute when again Cotton slipped a ball into Ward, who this time teed up Shaun Tuton to round the goalkeeper and place his shot into the roof of the net.

The Vikings got a first consolation goal with nine minutes left of normal time when a cheap free kick was given away to the right of the Belper penalty area. Brice Tiani whipped the ball in and substitute Nick Guest headed the ball beyond Low and into the corner of the net.

The five-goal lead was restored three minutes later when Jamie Jackson produced a neat turn in the centre of the park who then fed Harrison through on goal to square the ball to substitute Jon Froggatt who tapped the ball into the empty goal from eight yards out.

Goole finished off the scoring on the 88th minute when a corner from the right was swung into the six-yard box and caused confusion between the defenders who failed to react, and David Taylor poked the ball into the net.

A first-class reaction by the Nailers and a performance to match which one hopes will lead them onto a winning run as the league table starts to take shape.