Skelmersdale 2-1 Belper - match report

Belper Town remain bottom of the table.
Belper Town remain bottom of the table.

Belper Town went down to a 2-1 defeat at Skelmersdale on Tuesday night, as they remained bottom of the table.

The Nailers came within minutes of a vital point against high-flying Skem.

Interim Manager Jon Froggatt made only one change to the team that won at home on Saturday, as Kieran Walker came into the back three in place of Tom Burgin.

Following the praise earned for the Nailers style of football on Saturday, the team continued to show bravery and confidence on the ball throughout the game.

The Yellows had the better chances in the first half, with Froggatt coming close on three occasions.

The first of those chances came after just three minutes, when Nadat played a neat through ball for Froggatt, who drove in from the left to fire a right-footed shot straight at the on-rushing goalkeeper.

Glyn Cotton then saw an effort saved, after brilliant pressure from Belper saw them win the ball high up the field, and feed the ball into Cotton for a shot from 25 yards.

The hosts then came close on 33 minutes, after the ball was slipped in to Connor McCarthy on the left-hand side, whose shot was saved by James Martin.

The second half went on to produce three goals and a red card, in an action-packed final third of the game.

The first goal came for Belper after 51 minutes.

A good break by the Nailers led to a foul on the edge of the box by the home side, earning Belper a free-kick on the edge of the box.

Ian Ross took range, and curled a brilliant effort into the near corner, leaving ‘keeper Fearon flat-footed.

United forward Danny Mitchley then saw a wonderful chance go begging on the 68th minute, following a good cross from the right hand side by Sumner.

The ball was whipped in with devilish pace, and Mitchley got infront of his marker to power a header inches over the bar.

The Nailers had a chance to make it two in the 70th minute, only for Kieran Walker’s powerful volley to sail wide.

Then, after a period of pressure, United got their goal nine minutes from time.

Substitute Mark Byrne picked the ball up on the right and struck a shot with pace that hit Ross on the way through as it deflected beyond Martin.

United then got their winner three minutes from time, when Jack Owen headed home to seal the points for second-placed Skelmersdale.

Aaron Cole then saw a late red card for a kick-out on a defender, but the Nailer’s overall performance was one to be proud of.

Belper: Martin, Pride, Nadat (Holden 63), Ross, Varley, Walker, Cole, Warne, Froggatt (Garnett 70), Cotton (Marrison 79), Stevenson. Attendance: 181.