Spot kicks see Bulwell and Clay Cross into Floodlit Cup final

A late night finish in both of the area finals of the Abacus Lighting Central Midlands League's Phoenix Trophies Floodlit Cup saw Bulwell and Clay Cross survive penalty shoot-outs to make it into the final on April 27.

Thursday, 7th April 2016, 10:29 am
Updated Thursday, 7th April 2016, 10:31 am

Bulwell and Sherwood Colliery fought out a 1-1 draw at Greenwich Avenue in the South area final.

Bulwell suffered an early setback as Ben Moore had to be substituted in the 12th minute before Julian Topliss gave Sherwood the lead in the 18th minute from the penalty spot.

Jake Fisher equalled things up on 58 minutes, and that’s how it remained until the end of extra time.

Alex Smith was the Bulls’ hero as the game went to penalties, saving twice as Bulwell went through 3-1.

In a pulsating encounter at Clay Cross a game which swung one way then the other saw the home side also go through on penalties after a 4-4 draw with Brodsworth Welfare.

Brodsworth dominated the first half-hour after which only one outcome looked possible, Josh Bowkett putting them ahead on seven minutes and Brad Sykes adding a second after 19 minutes.

Further goals looked likely, but the Millers turned things round scoring two of their own before the break.

Tomas Poole grabbed the first on 41 minutes, Ant Lynam levelling things a minute into stoppage time.

Clay Cross edged their noses in front for the first time when Ryan Booker scored on 54 minutes and it remained that way until the third minute of added time when a final corner was headed home by Sykes.

The Millers were back in front after 94 minutes, Josh Burrow finishing from close range and the game reached the 119th minute before a blistering shot from Bowkett meant the game ended all square.

Both sides scored three and missed one before Liam Wajs saved Broddy’s fifth attempt to put his side into the final.

The big match in the Black Dragon Badges South Division on Wednesday night saw an important win for leaders Selston as they travelled to third-placed Belper United and came home with the points, thanks to a Ben Moore penalty after 68 minutes.

The win opened up an 11-point gap at the top and means that Selston require four wins from their last seven matches to be certain of the title.

Blidworth Welfare made it 10 matches without defeat as they beat Mickleover RBL 3-1.

Eden Homer opened the scoring in the 26th minute, Keenan Leeds increasing the advantage on the hour mark.

Top scorer Jamie Sleigh gave the Legion hope, pulling one back after 64 minutes, but 10 minutes later Charlie Taylor secured the points for the home side.

The win lifts Blidworth into the top four for the first time this season.

Pinxton picked up three points in the reserve division, beating Blidworth Welfare 3-0.

Pinxton were a goal up at half-time, Josh Bye the scorer, Ben Agbakosi and Jack McWilliams adding further goals in the second half.