Struggling Belper Town beaten by Frickley Athletic

Aaron Pride takes his man in. Pic by Tim Harrison
Aaron Pride takes his man in. Pic by Tim Harrison

Belper Town were unable to build upon their recent draw against Barwell after they were beaten 2-0 at mid-table Frickley Athletic.

The home side produced the first opportunity of the game through their tricky winger Brad Riley.

Belper fell to another loss on Saturday.

Belper fell to another loss on Saturday.

The Minors worked the ball to the left into the path of Riley. The number seven then swung in a cross-come-shot which went just over.

Striker Gavin Allott then had a penalty appeal turned away as his shirt appeared to be held whilst getting his shot away.

Frickley continued to push and eventually got their goal in first half stoppage time.

Belper worked the ball up field and saw possession turn over on the edge of their opponents’ box.

The defender then struck a long clearance down the field, which was met well by Gavin Allott. Allott then used his strength to hold off Chris Jones, and went past the defender inside the box, before slotting the ball beyond Scot Low.

The second half produced a number of chances for both sides, with neither team able to capitalise on their advantages.

Gavin Allott continued to cause problems for Frickley, as Low was called into action on a number of occasions to keep him out.

Chris Jones came close to an equaliser as his connection at the near post following a corner kick was grasped in to the palms of the goalkeeper.

Aaron Cole then saw a tame effort fall kindly for Simpson, as his promising run inside from the right saw a left footed shot struck with minimal power.

The Minors nearly made it two with 20 minutes remaining as a good break following a Belper corner resulted in a near miss.

Brad Riley burst clear and played the ball across goal to Luke Hinsley. Hinsley then laid the ball off to Max Leonard, who shot first time just wide.

The home side then won a penalty with ten minutes remaining.

Richard Adams was adjudged to have his arms around Allott inside the box.

Gavin Allott stepped up, and struck a fine effort into the bottom right corner beyond Low.

Arguably the best chance for Belper came in added time. Regan Edridge found space on the by-line inside the box, before cutting the ball back to Stevenson, whose shot was goal bound from seven yards, before deflecting off his own player to edge wide of the near post.

Belper Town: Scot Low, Aaron Pride, Bruno Holden, Ian Ross, Chris Jones (Scott James 80), Richard Adams, Aaron Cole, Steve Warne (Regan Edridge 45), Jon Froggatt (Evan Garnett 69), Glyn Cotton, Rob Stevenson. Subs: Matt Varley, James Martin.

Referee: Wayne Grunnill (Hull)

Attendance: 238