WATCH: Jimmy Albans gives his verdict on Belper Town’s win over Frickley

Belper Town won for a second consecutive Tuesday night at the Marston’s stadium after beating strugglers Frickley Athletic 2-0.

Goals from Steve Warne and Rob Stevenson gave the Nailers all three points, as they continue to push Trafford to avoid bottom spot.



The game began with Williams striking on goal from eight yards out, before the defender made a good block to prevent the chance from materialising into a goal.

The Nailers then took the lead on the 13th minute with a potential goal of the season contender.

Stevenson collected the ball on the left and fired a low ball in to the box.

Grimes the controlled the ball well with his back to goal and fed Williams on the edge of the box.

Williams then teed up Warne 20 yards out, who struck the ball with devilish pace as it cannoned in off the underside of the cross bar, giving Simpson no hope.

Frickley’s bright spark, Brad Dockerty, soon came close as he worked his way inside from the left and tried his luck from the edge of the box, however the shot was straight at Haystead who was able to make a comfortable save.

The game then went quiet with little or no chances coming for the next twenty minutes.

Belper did produce a magical move just before half time which accumulated at least 15 passes around the edge of the Frickley box, which was orchestrated by Laurie Wilson, and ended in Williams shooting just wide of the near left post.

Moments later, Stevenson teased his man on the left before drilling a low ball across the box which Grimes collected at the far post, only for his shot to be blocked on the line by the defender.

The second half produced fewer chances in a relatively quiet 45 minutes.

Stevenson struck the ball over the bar early after the restart after beating his defender from left to right.

Wilson the set up Grimes who had timed his run to stay on side, however the forward was caught in two minds, and blazed his shot over when he should have done better.

Brad Riley had a rare chance for Frickley as the ball fell to him at the far right post, but he shot wide of the target to keep Haystead’s nerves at bay.

The Nailers then scored their second and final goal to wrap up the game with six minutes to go.

Stevenson picked the ball up from Warne in a central position and started to run at the centre half.

Twisting one way and the other, Stevenson soon created a yard of space on the edge of the box before slotting his shot neatly in to the bottom right corner, giving the ‘keeper no chance, and sealing all three points as the Nailers moved up a place in the table.

Belper Town: Haystead, Turner, Matthews, Watt, Miller, Warne, Wilson, Williams, Grimes, Garnett (Froggatt 74), Stevenson. Subs: Shariff, Towey, Varley, Lister.

Frickley AFC: Simpson, Stratford, Kay, Hornsey, Cyrus, Ibel, Riley, Bloor, Thompson, Allott (Stannard 56), Dockerty. Subs: Cable, Parkinson, Rose, Leigh.

Referee: Lisa Rashid (Birmingham).

Attendance: 212.