Match report: Gresley FC 0-0 Belper Town

Glyn Cotton (right) in action at Gresley. Photo by Tim Harrison.
Glyn Cotton (right) in action at Gresley. Photo by Tim Harrison.

An exciting game of football left a rotten taste in the mouths of both parties as neither team created a chance worthy of winning the game after 90 minutes.

Manager Peter Duffield introduced a new Nailers signing in Philip Watt, whose move from Coalville Town was possibly the highlight of the day for Belper.

He deputised at centre-half alongside the ever present Shaun Roulston, while Chris Jones played in his more familiar role at right back and goalkeeper David Ratcliffe came in to replace the unwell Scott Low.

The first-half began in a fiercely competitive manor with two yellow cards and several free-kicks awarded inside the first ten minutes.

The first chance fell for Marc Goodfellow on the fourth minute whose shot from the edge of the box rose inches over the bar.

Jordan Nadat then saw his point blank header from the six yard box aimed straight at goalkeeper Ratcliffe who pushed the ball away to safety.

Belper’s first real chance came on the 28th minute when Simon Harrison was brought down after he cut inside from the right and the defender illegally halted his run. Glyn Cotton stood over the free-kick which was 30 yards right of centre and his powerful effort flew two yards over the top.

Belper’s best moment of the first-half came on 38 minutes when skipper Steve Warne received the ball on the inside left and played a great curling cross in towards Harrison who met the ball on the volley eight yards out but his shot went agonisingly wide of the near post.

The second-half was played with much the same tempo as both teams played good positive football, however lacking the end result.

The Moatmen had their best chance of the game just two minutes after the restart when the dangerous Nadat’s touch and turn past Roulston in the area lead to a shot which was tipped away by Ratcliffe.

The Nailers then came to life and pushed Gresley back with the majority of possession in their opponents half. New man Watt made good contact with a header from a corner which sailed a yard wide of the right hand post.

But arguably the best chance for the Nailers fell to the inform Shaun Tuton after Cotton played an inch perfect ball through to the striker who was onside and one-on-one with the goalkeeper. Tuton struggled to make up his mind as he had Mark Ward square to the left and a chance at goal himself. In the end it seemed a ‘mix of both’ was attempted and the ball rolled two yards wide of the far left post. x

Sub Jon Froggatt had a glancing header flash across goal and a Tuton headed effort fell wide, with the Nailers left ruing missed opportunities after the final whistle.

Belper Town: Dave Ratcliffe, Chris Jones, Joe Conkleton, Glyn Cotton, Philip Watt, Shaun Roulston, Simon Harrison (Sam Duncum 80), Steve Warne, Mark Ward (Jon Froggatt 64), Shaun Tuton (Jamie Jackson 73), Gareth Davies. Subs: Colin Marrison, Liam Davis.

Referee: Mr M Griffiths

Attendance: 312