Belper RUFC head to top of table after crushing Worksop RUFC

Rugby union
Rugby union

Belper RUFC moved to the top of the Midlands 4 East table after crushing Worksop 62-0.

The home side dominated from start to finish and scored five tries in each half and a much more one-side game than when Belper won by 10 points earlier in the season.

Belper welcomed back captain Simon Carter, second row andy Yorke and centre Rory peverell.

Worksop have always been a tough side to break down and they showed this in the opening exchanges.

Belper had the upper hand in the scrums with the front row of Carter, Woodward and Powell and second rows England and York dominating the set piece and driving the visiting side back.

Belpers’ first try came from James Naylor, who capitalised on driving runs from Bacon and Watson to go over in the corner.

Next to score was Craig Innocent who had the simple task of touching down following a 5m scrum in which the home side drove over.

Naylor then scored again fafter capitalising on a loose ball.

Innocent popped up again to score after some visiting pressure had pinned the home side back.

Good hands from Smith and Peverell allowed innocent to touch down close to the corner.

Naylor then completed his first half hat-trick with another sniping run and dive into the corner. Tom stones added two conversions to leave the half-time score at 29-0.

Changes in the second half saw Chris Haines, Jim Lowden and Jake Holmes all coming into action and making their mark on the game.

Belper scored after five minutes following another scrum close to the visiting try line.

This time the ball went wide from Watson and good hands from him and Smith saw perevell dance under the posts.

Then followed a period of play where Belper got stuck and seemed to take their foot off the gas instead of kicking on.

After 15 minutes of slow rugby Belper kicked into gear and scored another four tries.

A break from James Naylor opened a gap for Frank Watson who beat several defenders before off loading to the supporting runner, Tony England who galloped under the posts to score.

Moments later Belper struck again through Jake Holmes who out paced everyone to score.

In the last 10 minutes Belper scored the final two tries though Holmes again and Jim Lowden scoring his first for the club.

The excellent day was rounded off with news that leaders Ashfield had lost, allowing Belper to head to the top.