Stirring second-half fightback earns points

Belper RFC 1sts put some recent disappointing results firmly behind them to win 36-15 at home to Worksop on Saturday in the Midlands Four East (North).

From the kick off, Worksop showed that they were up for a good game as they run straight at Belper, pushing their defence and running good lines.

They ran good phases, pushing the Belper team until a slow pace and lax defence let their wing run through some poor tackles to score the first points of the match.

Five minutes on from the restart, Belper conceded a silly penalty that gave the visiting team another three points.

Worksop soon had another chance from the back of a lineout to run some nice phase play before running in their second try and slotting the conversion over to add insult to injury.

The half ended though with a simple phase play by Belper and some nice hands from Matthews, showing Smith the door to score the first try for the home team. Stone slotted the conversion and the half ended with Belper trailing 15-7.

But something seemed to click at half time as Belper came out, hitting Worksop hard and running some great lines, forcing their opponents to tackle hard.

The Worksop forwards and backs however, could not keep up with the pace of Belper and some hard driving proved too much as Dakin went over for the home team’s second try.

After the conversion was slotted over, the away team gave away a silly penalty which meant their fullback saw yellow, leaving Stone to kick and put Belper in the lead by one.

The try and penalty seemed to give another boost to Belper as neat handling skills and well worked offloads saw the third try come just a couple of minutes from the restart. Stone again added the points for the conversion.

A lot of movement within the positions kept Belper on their toes.

However, they kept running nice lines, keeping the offloads working well, pushing the Worksop defence.

The fourth try came from a lovely bit of hands from the backs.

Two visitors saw yellow again after a deliberate trip that saw more points go through the posts and add yet more points to the home team.

Debutant Keith Buzzard took man of the match with a powerful display.

Both teams played hard and although there was some great battling from them, Worksop were unable to get back into the game in the second half and it ended 36-15 with a deserved win to the home team.

This was a great result for the team and club.

This Saturday, Belper are at home to newly promoted Bingham and will look to build on this performance.